Skip to content

Ross Barkley's Everton future to be determined on Monday, Ronald Koeman says

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 30: Ross Barkley of Everton celebrates scoring his sides second goal during the Premier League match between Everton and West
Image: Ross Barkley has stalled on signing a new Everton contract

Ronald Koeman has revealed he will meet Everton's board on Monday to discuss Ross Barkley's contract situation before the club releases a statement about the midfielder's future.

Barkley's future remains shrouded in uncertainty with the England international yet to agree terms over a new deal and about to enter the last 12 months of his Everton contract.

Koeman told reporters ahead of Sunday's 3-1 defeat at Arsenal he is keen for Barkley to commit his future to the club, but admitted he was not confident the 23-year-old will be at Goodison Park next season.

The Everton boss omitted Barkley from the starting line-up for Sunday's visit to Arsenal, although the midfielder did come on in the first half at the Emirates in place of fellow academy graduate Tom Davies.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Everton manager Ronald Koeman admits he is not confident about getting Ross Barkley to sign a new contract with the club

Koeman has previously warned Barkley that he will be sold if he fails to sign a new contract to remain at the club.

Asked after Sunday's clash with the Gunners whether he wanted Barkley to stay and be part of Everton's future plans, Koeman told Sky Sports: "That's no question because we offered him a really good contract and it's up to the player."

The Dutchman added: "I will speak to the board tomorrow and we will make a statement about that."

Also See:

Pressed on whether he thought Barkley would put pen-to-paper on a new deal, Koeman added: "I don't know, I don't know."

Around Sky