Tuesday 15 August 2017 18:58, UK
Tottenham remain firmly interested in Fulham's left-sided attacker Ryan Sessegnon with 17 days of the transfer window remaining, Sky Sports News understands.
Spurs, and especially their manager Mauricio Pochettino, have a long-standing admiration for the England youth player and wanted to sign him earlier this summer, in January and last year.
Sessegnon instead signed his first professional contract at Fulham, having graduated from their academy and thrived last season on youth terms, committing himself to a three-year deal.
Widespread newspaper reports claim Spurs have made an opening offer of £25m but sources at both clubs have insisted to Sky Sports News that that is not the case, despite Fulham being aware of Spurs' interest.
Sessegnon, 17, signed his new contract following interest from Tottenham and Liverpool, as an indication that he is happy to stay at Craven Cottage, where he will be assured of first-team football this season.
Manager Slavisa Jokanovic also said he had been assured by the club's hierarchy that Sessegnon would not be sold in this window and the club are keen to back the Serbian after another summer of unrest behind the scenes over recruitment.
Sky Sports News understands that Fulham owner Shahid Khan remains unprepared to sell Sessegnon before the September 1 deadline, even if a bid of £25m is indeed received.
Sessegnon has made 26 appearances for Fulham and was also joint-top scorer at the Euro Under-19 finals, which England won this summer. His twin brother Steven, also a Fulham player, is also tipped for a bright future.
Spurs boss Pochettino said after their opening win over Newcastle that the club will make additions in the last weeks of the transfer window, with talks having been held over Celta Vigo midfielder Papa Cheikh Diop as a potential alternative to top target Ross Barkley.