Newcastle close on Anelka
By Graeme Bailey
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
Newcastle United are closing in on a deal for Nicolas Anelka.Newcastle United are closing in on a deal for Nicolas Anelka.
French souces insist that The Magpies are set to conclude a move for the 26-year-old striker, who only moved to Fenerbahce in January.
Fener are reportedly ready to let Anelka leave, but only for the é¼11 million fee which they paid Manchester City for him.
Newcastle have so far bid é¼8.5 million, but they are ready to up their offer and could even sew up the deal within 48 hours.
Magpies chief Graeme Souness revealed on Friday talks over Anelka and Fulham's Luis Boa Morte were ongoing.
However, while the deal for Anelka appears to be going smoothly - Cottagers chief Chris Coleman has told Newcastle to 'put up or shut-up' in their bid for the Portuguese winger.
"If Luis wants to join Newcastle and Newcastle want to buy Luis Boa Morte then they are going to have to put up a hell of a lot of money for him," said Coleman.
"I am sick of all the talk, in all honesty. They need to put their money on the table. Otherwise they have got to shut up and let us get on with our season."
Newcastle, who are still being linked with Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka, are looking to seal both Anelka and Boa Morte's signatures by the start of next week.