Newcastle United boss John Carver confident Moussa Sissoko will stay at St James' Park

John Carver was happy with his side's tactics in the defeat
Image: Newcastle head coach John Carver

Newcastle head coach John Carver says he expects France international midfielder Moussa Sissoko to still be at St James' Park after the transfer window closes.

Sissoko, who earlier this month described Arsenal as "the club of my heart", thks week admitted in a French magazine interview that he would be tempted by any approach from Paris St Germain.

Carver, who admits he has next to no role in comings and goings at the club, remains confident there will be no significant departures in the next 72 hours.

Carver said: "I am telling you that he (Sissoko) is going nowhere - unless someone comes in with a ridiculous amount of money. He is focused and he has got his mind on the job. He has been absolutely first class.

"It annoys me when you see a player who has been tapped up by somebody else and he doesn't train or perform properly. That is what annoys me and he's certainly not doing that."

I am telling you that he (Sissoko) is going nowhere - unless someone comes in with a ridiculous amount of money.
John Carver

Carver takes his side to face Hull for Saturday's lunchtime kick-off and is likely to have top scorer Papiss Cisse available after Senegal's earlier-than-expected elimination from the Africa Nations Cup.

Cisse is flying back to the north-east and barring any delays is expecting to be named in the squad for the trip to the KC Stadium.

"He is hugely important," said Carver. "We were 2-0 down against Hull earlier this season and he came on and got the two goals.

"He's our top goalscorer and the only way you are going to win football matches is having your top goalscorer around."

Around Sky