Manchester City 'make £47m bid' for Kevin de Bruyne of Wolfsburg

Image: Kevin de Bruyne has been one of Manchester City's primary targets this summer

Manchester City have launched a £47m bid for Wolfsburg attacker Kevin de Bruyne, according to Sky sources.

City have been interested in signing the former Chelsea player for some time but Wolfsburg have previously been insistent they have not received any offers from the Manchester club.

The 23-year-old, who struggled to break into the Blues' first-team under Jose Mourinho, has previously said he has had "informal contact" with City and the player's agent, Patrick De Koster, admitted on Monday that they are waiting to see if an agreement is made between the clubs.

De Koster said: "I have read a lot of nonsense in the media. Kevin remains a Wolfsburg player and is focused on his job at the club.

Image: Klaus Allofs still expects De Bruyne to stay with Wolfsburg

"We are waiting to discover whether any agreement has been reached between the clubs. That is for the clubs to decide, and not for us. There is no medical planned at this stage, and he is happy at Wolfsburg."

Wolfsburg’s managing director, Klaus Allofs, has previously said he expects De Bruyne to stay but Sky sources understand an offer for the player has now been made.

Allofs said last month: "Kevin hasn’t come to us or asked if we would agree to let him go. So if you would ask me today, if Kevin will stay in Wolfsburg, my answer would be yes – 99.9 percent."

Also See:

De Bruyne had a superb season in the Bundesliga last term, scoring 16 goals in 49 appearances, having signed from Chelsea in the summer of 2014.

The Belgium international began his career at Genk before joining Chelsea in 2012 and being loaned straight back to his former club.

Get a Sky Sports Week Pass

Get a Sky Sports Week Pass

Watch Man City face West Brom and Chelsea for £10.99 on NOW TV. No contract.

Around Sky