The FA is investigating alleged racist abuse of Middlesbrough's Mido in the Tees-Tyne derby.
Alleged racist chanting to be investigated
The Football Association is investigating alleged racist abuse of Middlesbrough striker Mido in the Tees-Tyne derby on Saturday.
Mido entered the stalemate with Newcastle at The Riverside as a 77th-minute substitute and had been briefly subjected to taunts prior to his introduction.
The chanting was a repeat of abuse in the same fixture last season and the FA is now looking into the incident.
"We'll have to look at it. We'll speak to the clubs," an FA spokesman said in the Daily Telegraph
. "This will most likely involve working with Newcastle to try to prevent it happening again.
"The police may also be involved in helping identify any offenders because this is potentially a criminal offence. We want to make it clear you can't get away with chants like this."
Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate is hoping the culprits will be caught but does not believe Newcastle should be punished.
He said: "We have to rise above it. If people want to shout those things it's a reflection on them. There's a danger we go on a witch hunt. What do you do? Punish the club?
"They can't do anything about their travelling fans. It's individual decisions to sing what they want. I don't think that's fair. How can a club the size of Newcastle control individuals?
"It's a sensitive one and I understand the importance, but I don't want to put the pressure on an excellent club like Newcastle."
A spokesman for Newcastle added: "The club does not condone any sort of offensive chanting."