Hughes coy over Roque talk

Image: Hughes: Gave little away

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has refused to comment on reports he is interested in signing Roque Santa Cruz.

Fulham boss refuses to confirm if interested in City striker

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has refused to comment on reports he is interested in signing Roque Santa Cruz for a third time. Hughes brought Santa Cruz to England in 2007 while Blackburn boss, signing the Paraguay striker from Bayern Munich for £3.8million. Hughes then spent £17.5m taking Santa Cruz to Manchester City last summer but injuries restricted his first-team opportunities and he only made six league starts last season. The 28-year-old remains down the pecking order at Eastlands, with Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor first-choice strikers while Jo is back in favour under current Blues boss Roberto Mancini.

Loan link

Hughes was therefore said to be lining up a loan deal for Santa Cruz, but he was keeping his cards close to his chest on Thursday when asked if a deal could be done before the transfer deadline. "I'll always be interested in good players but I think it's unfair to be questioned on players that are at other clubs," Hughes told Sky Sports News. "It will happen, I understand it's that time of the year we get put on the spot. "But from our point of view, we're looking to add to the quality that we already have. "We're pleased with bringing in Moussa Dembele and Rafik Halliche, which we feel is good business at this time. "We're trying to add to what we already have and there's still time to do other deals so we'll wait and see." Dembele and Halliche are Hughes' only signings so far since being named Fulham boss at the end of last month, while Philippe Senderos and Jonathan Greening arrived at Craven Cottage earlier in the summer.

Around Sky