Skip to content

Sky Bet Championship: Brighton snatch late point with 2-2 draw against Reading

Inigo Calderon of Brighton celebrates after scoring a late equaliser during the Sky Bet Championship match between Brighton and Reading at The Amex Stadium
Image: Inigo Calderon: Grabbed a late leveller

Inigo Calderon hit a 90th-minute equaliser to give managerless Brighton a deserved point with a 2-2 draw against Reading before a crowd of 26,173 at the Amex Stadium.

Glenn Murray scored twice against his former club to give Reading a two-goal lead, but the Seagulls dominated after Jake Forster-Caskey found the net just before the interval.

The comeback will be a welcome boost for Brighton who saw Sami Hyypia resign as boss following a disastrous start to the season which had seen them start the day in the bottom three.

Brighton, with only three points from their previous six games, made the worst possible start with former Seagulls striker Murray giving Reading the lead after just 35 seconds.

The striker, on loan from Crystal Palace, netted his seventh goal of the season from five yards after a cross from Hal Robson-Kanu deflected off Simon Cox.

Nervy Brighton were almost punished again when Murray put a left-foot shot wide before Jake Taylor forced former Fulham keeper David Stockdale to make a sprawling save.

The Seagulls threatened for the first time when midfielder Danny Holla went down under a challenge by Jordan Obita but referee Graham Salisbury waved away a penalty appeal.

Murray struck again as Reading doubled their advantage after 26 minutes and it was another opportunist goal.

Murray, in between Holla and Greg Halford on the edge of the six-yard box, leapt high to head in a free-kick from Irish midfielder Oliver Norwood.

Brighton's problems increased further with former England striker Darren Bent, on loan from Aston Villa, being forced off injured to be replaced by Craig Mackail-Smith who had been recalled from a loan spell at Peterborough.

Forster-Caskey reduced the deficit four minutes before the interval by shooting home at the far post after defender Lewis Dunk helped on a long throw from Halford.

The Seagulls ended the half strongly and Reading were fortunate when a rasping shot from Adrian Colunga cannoned back off the post after another Halford long throw was headed on by Dunk.

Murray was off target at the near post shortly after the break after he got the better of Halford following a low cross by Robson-Kanu.

The Seagulls threatened when Mackail-Smith fired into the side netting after being set up by Halford, and Holla then forced keeper Adam Federici to save his powerful effort from 35 yards.

Federici did well to tip a goal-bound shot from Joe Bennett over as Brighton enjoyed good possession.

The Australian denied Brighton again by going full length to turn away a header from substitute Solly March after Colunga's teasing angled cross.

Reading, sitting deep, rarely threatened after the interval and Gary Gardner had an overhead kick blocked as Brighton dominated.

Defender Calderon pulled the Seagulls level in the final minute by firing home from close range after a cross from Colunga.

Around Sky