EFL to push League One and Two transfer window back to end of August
Last Updated: 21/03/19 2:05pm
League One and Two clubs will get three extra weeks to sign players in August, after the EFL backed a plan to split the closure of the summer transfer window.
Prior to this season, the window stayed open until the end of August, three weeks into the new campaign. This meant English football was in line with the rest of Europe but it greatly annoyed managers who claimed it disrupted their plans, unsettled players and led to panic buys.
As a result, the Premier League narrowly voted to close the summer window before the start of the season, with the EFL following suit soon after, which meant clubs had until August 9 to complete their business last year.
That, however, upset clubs in Leagues One and Two, who said the shortened window, coupled with their smaller scouting budgets, did not give them enough time to make signings and it put them at a disadvantage with other leagues.
It now appears those complaints have been heeded.
In a statement, EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey said the league will close the window for Championship clubs on August 8, in line with the Premier League, but keep it open for tiers three and four until the end of the month.
"By adopting this approach, EFL clubs have been given the opportunity to determine the direction of travel, with our priority ensuring that everyone has a clear understanding of the arrangements as soon as possible so as to ensure plans can be put in place for next season," said Harvey.
"This week's vote indicates strong support for a difference in approach across the Championship and Leagues One and Two and proposals will be finalised ahead of a formal vote at an extraordinary general meeting in April."