Skip to content

Bristol Rovers to help investigation into violence at Port Vale

Vale Park - home of Port Vale - and owned by Norman Smurthwaite
Image: Violence overshadowed Port Vale's draw with Bristol Rovers at Vale Park on Saturday afternoon

Bristol Rovers have confirmed they are cooperating with the police after four arrests were made at their draw with Port Vale last weekend.

Rovers scored a late goal to salvage a 1-1 draw at Vale Park on Saturday but the game was overshadowed by reports of violence involving supporters, match-day stewards and the police.

Thirty visiting supporters were ejected from the ground in a row over seating at the away end before the police were called to the game after up to 50 fans clashed with stewards.

Four men and two women sustained minor injuries during the violence, while four arrests were made for a range of offences.

A 52-year old man was arrested for racially aggravated abuse aimed at a steward, while three others, including a match-day official, were arrested for assault. All have been bailed.

Bristol Rovers say they are fully committed to helping the ongoing investigation into the incidents.

BURSLEM, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 15:  A view of Vale Park, home of Port Vale FC during the Sky Bet League One match between Port Vale and Rochdale at Vale Park
Image: Rovers are willing to fully cooperate with an investigation into the violence

"Bristol Rovers FC are, of course, aware of some unsavoury incidents at the game against Port Vale on Saturday," read a statement released on Monday.

Also See:

"Because the match took place at Vale Park, any investigation into the incidents has to be led by Port Vale FC and the Staffordshire Police.

"We have been inundated with eye witness accounts, which we have forwarded to Port Vale and Avon and Somerset Police, who had spotters at the game.

"At this stage, and because investigations are ongoing, it would be inappropriate for Bristol Rovers FC to make any further comment at present."

Crowd trouble also marred Cheltenham's win over Yeovil on Saturday, while a large number of Millwall supporters invaded the pitch at The Den after seeing their side knock Leicester City out of the FA Cup.

Around Sky