Celtic deny deal has been done to sell Virgil van Dijk to Southampton
Last Updated: 23/08/15 8:26pm
Celtic have insisted that no deal has yet been done to sell defender Virgil van Dijk to Southampton.
It had been reported by a number of Sunday newspapers, including the Sunday Mirror, that Southampton had won the race to sign the 24-year-old Dutchman for £10m.
But a spokesman for the Scottish champions told Press Association Sport: "The story is absolute nonsense.
"Virgil will play on Tuesday. We have no agreement with any club."
Celtic travel to Sweden this week for the second leg of their Champions League qualifier against Malmo, taking with them a slender 3-2 lead from the first leg at Celtic Park.
Van Dijk is expected to line up for the Scottish champions and Sky sources understand any deal for Van Dijk to join Southampton hinges on their qualification to Europe's elite competition.
Sky Sports reported just over a week ago that Southampton are still hopeful of signing Van Dijk before the transfer window deadline.
And Saints captain Jose Fonte has previously said the former Netherlands Under-21 international would be a high-quality addition to the team.
Fonte said: "I know he's a good player. If he comes, he'll be welcomed like every other player that comes in this club."