Andrea Dossena looks set to miss out on a move to Napoli after his agent revealed negotiations may end.
Napoli president considering other targets
Andrea Dossena looks set to miss out on a move to Napoli after his agent revealed negotiations might have to end.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis admitted earlier on Wednesday he was becoming frustrated by the whole transfer saga.
The Liverpool left-back has been linked with a move to the Serie A club after a difficult 18 months at Anfield.
He has struggled to establish himself as a regular starter for the Reds and was tipped to secure a switch back to Italy over the summer.
A deal with Napoli broke down amid suggestions that personal terms could not be agreed but the speculation continued and De Laurentiis has made no secret of his interest.
De Laurentiis hopes something can be sorted but insists he would be prepared to turn his focus elsewhere.
"I'm tired of hearing about Dossena. If they want to give him to us OK, otherwise nothing," he told Gazzetta dello Sport
"What is the problem? If a player wants to relaunch, he cannot think only of money.
"However, I'm considering a number of names."
Dossena's representative Federico Pastorello has now conceded that a move is unlikely to go ahead.
"I don't want controversy, I'm on good terms with the president," Pastorello told Sky Italia
"I think there aren't conditions for continuing negotiations with Napoli."
Napoli are enjoying a solid campaign but De Laurentiis is keen for his side to push on from mid-table over the coming months.
He is ready to provide transfer funds in the New Year, saying: "I believe a lot in (coach Walter) Mazzarri and he will be the one to indicate to me what he needs."