Nike 'deeply concerned' by Cristiano Ronaldo allegations
EA Sports are closely monitoring the "concerning" allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo.
Last Updated: 07/10/18 12:20pm
Sportswear company Nike says it is "deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations" facing Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldo has been accused of rape by Kathryn Mayorga, who claims the Juventus forward assaulted her in Las Vegas in 2009. He has firmly denied the accusation.
In an email to The Associated Press, Nike said: "We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation."
The sportswear company has had a contract with Ronaldo, one of the wealthiest and most famous footballers in the world, since 2003.
Another of Ronaldo's sponsors, EA Sports, also called the allegations "concerning".
EA Sports said in a statement: "We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo. We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA's values."
Other Ronaldo sponsors including Toyota, Emirates, American Tourister and Panzerglass have declined Sky Sports News' request for comment on the allegations facing the 33-year-old.
Ronaldo, who has been left out of the Portugal squad for games against Poland and Scotland, has been backed by Juventus, who posted tweets on Thursday supporting their £105m signing.
The tweets read: "Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus.
"The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion."
The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion. 2/2— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) October 4, 2018
Lawyers representing Ms Mayorga held a press conference in Las Vegas late on Wednesday night to give further details about the allegation.
Earlier on Wednesday, Ronaldo issued a denial on his Twitter account: "I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.
"Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.
"My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations."
Over the weekend, the five-time World Footballer of the Year described the claims, originally published in German magazine Der Spiegel, as "fake news" in a video post on Instagram.
His attorney Christian Schertz insists the allegation is "manifestly illegal" and is "one of the most serious violations in personal rights in years".