Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Partick Thistle vs Aberdeen. Scottish Premiership.

Firhill Stadium.Attendance3,915.

Partick Thistle 1

  • S Lawless (60th minute)

Aberdeen 2

  • A Considine (74th minute)
  • S Church (76th minute)

Partick 1-2 Aberdeen: Dons keep up pressure on leaders Celtic

Matthew Treadwell

Wednesday 9 March 2016 14:59, UK

Aberdeen's Simon Church celebrates after making it 2-1 against Partick Thistle
Image: Aberdeen striker Simon Church (right) scores the winner at Partick

Aberdeen moved to within one point of Scottish Premiership leaders Celtic after goals from Andrew Considine and Simon Church secured a 2-1 win at Partick.

Thistle scored the opener at Firhill when Steven Lawless fired home from 25 yards on the hour mark.

But the Dons struck back with two goals in four minutes, Considine nodding home the equaliser before Church scored what proved to be the winner with a glancing header.

The original match in Glasgow was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch and the surface had to withstand another deluge in the early stages in which the Jags looked the more positive.

It took Aberdeen, boosted by the return of influential midfielder Jonny Hayes from a hamstring injury, some time to get going.

Graeme Shinnie released fellow midfielder Kenny McLean with a perfectly-weighted pass, but under pressure from Partick centre-back Liam Lindsay he shot weakly at 'keeper Tomas Cerny.

Moments later, Hayes' angled drive from 16 yards flew wide of the far post as the game sparked into life.

More on this story

Hayes again caused problems in the home defence when his free-kick into the box was headed on by defender by Mark Reynolds, with Church clipping the crossbar with his close-range shot.

Aberdeen's Andrew Considine celebrates after making it 1-1 at Partick Thistle
Image: Andrew Considine (middle) celebrates after equalising against Partick

Gary Fraser had cleared the Dons crossbar earlier with a chip with only Brown to beat and, just before the break, the visiting 'keeper blocked his drive from a tight angle before the Thistle player curled the shot just wide.

Cerny then parried a shot from Hayes at the other end just before the break.

Both teams went at each other from the start of the second half as the tempo improved and in the 54th minute Craig Storie's driven free-kick was cleared off the line by back-tracking midfielder Sean Welsh.

Despite Aberdeen's pressure it was the Jags who scored first when Lawless lashed home past Brown.

Only a great save from Brown prevented Mathias Pogba heading in a second eight minutes later and that was to prove crucial, as Derek McInnes' side bounced back.

Partick Thistle's Steven Lawless makes it 1-0 against Aberdeen in the Scottish Premiership
Image: Steven Lawless (right) had given Partick the lead

Hayes' cross from the left ended up at the back post where Considine (74) was left unmarked to head in from four yards.

Church then nipped in to take his side into the lead when he glanced in a Barry Robson corner to leave Thistle stunned.

Partick substitute Kris Doolan, on for Pogba, then missed a great chance to equalise when he dragged a shot from 10 yards wide.

Victory for Aberdeen keeps up the pressure on the Hoops, although Ronny Deila's side have a game in hand on their title rivals.