Dustin Johnson to miss Hero World Challenge ahead of Presidents Cup
Johnson still scheduled to play in Presidents Cup from December 12-15, live on Sky Sports
By Sky Sports Golf
Last Updated: 01/12/19 1:04pm
Dustin Johnson has pulled out of the Hero World Challenge to ensure he is fit to represent Team USA in the Presidents Cup later this month.
Get the best prices and book a round at one of 1,700 courses across the UK & Ireland
Johnson, who struggled with a left knee injury during the summer and has not featured competitively since finishing last in the Tour Championship in August, had been due to make a return to action in the Tiger Woods-hosted event.
The world No 4 underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair cartilage damage in September and although he has fully recovered from his operation, will now spend the week practising in preparation for the Presidents Cup, which starts on December 12.
"After a lot of careful thought and consultation, I have decided that it is in my best interest if I withdraw from next week's Hero World Challenge," Johnson said.
"While my recovery from knee surgery is complete, I feel another week of physical therapy and practice will best prepare me for the Presidents Cup.
"I have informed Captain [Tiger] Woods of my decision, which he fully supports and understands, and cannot wait to tee it up with him and my team-mates next week in Australia."
Johnson has been replaced in the field by Chez Reavie, who will be making his tournament debut, with the invite-only event getting underway on Wednesday.
"I am excited to welcome Chez to the Hero World Challenge field," Woods said. "Chez had a terrific season and will be a great addition to our field this week.
"I wish Dustin the best and I know he's disappointed not to be playing at Albany."
Watch the Hero World Challenge live on Wednesday from 6pm on Sky Sports Golf and Sky Sports Main Event.