Conor McGregor 'regrets actions' at UFC event in April, due back at New York court in July
Last Updated: 14/06/18 5:10pm
Conor McGregor says he regrets his actions after entering plea negotiations to resolve charges stemming from a disturbance at a UFC 223 media day in April.
The 29-year-old Irish fighter appeared for a hearing at a New York court on Thursday, and will remain free on bail following the brief appearance along with co-defendant Cian Cowley.
The pair are due back in court on July 26, while a prosecutor said plea negotiations are ongoing.
"I regret my actions that led me here today," McGregor said outside court afterwards. "I understand the seriousness of this matter and I'm hopeful to get it resolved soon."
McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after he gatecrashed the UFC event, sparking chaotic scenes.
Meanwhile, Cowley was charged with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief.
Along with Cowley, McGregor arrived for the hearing on private jet, having returned to Ireland after being freed on a £35,500 ($50,000) bail.
Following the UFC 223 event, video footage emerged on social media of McGregor and his entourage storming into the Barclays Center in New York and making their presence felt.
Police said one person had been injured as a bus window was smashed, with the chaotic scenes leading to three fights being cancelled this weekend.
McGregor last fought in the Ultimate Fighting Championship in November 2016, when he defeated Eddie Alvarez to win the lightweight belt.
But he never defended the title, entering the boxing ring instead to take on Floyd Mayweather in August 2017, and McGregor was stripped of his title by UFC - with president Dana White announcing the decision in the build-up to UFC 223.