Volkswagen's Sebastien Ogier claims his third Rally of Italy win in Sardinia
Last Updated: 14/07/15 11:29am
Volkswagen's Sebastien Ogier claimed his third successive Rally of Italy victory and fourth win of the WRC season to extend his lead at the top of the Drivers' Championship.
The Frenchman started the final day in Sardinia with a commanding lead and won by over three minutes, with victory in the Power Stage earning him three bonus points.
Hyundai driver Hayden Paddon enjoyed his first podium finish after finishing second, having led the rally for 15 stages.
Paddon's team-mate Thierry Neuville snatched third on the final day after Citroen's Mads Ostberg went off the road in SS20 and damaged his brakes, while M-Sport's Elfyn Evans finished in fourth spot.
Reigning champion Ogier, who moves to 70 points in the Drivers' Championship, said: "I am very pleased.
"I did not expect this kind of result here. The times got better and better but in the car I was driving just the same.
"It was very difficult to open the road, but everything worked perfectly - from the car to the weather forecasts."
Rally of Sardinia result:
1. S Ogier (Fra) Volkswagen 4hr 25min 54.3sec
2. H Paddon (Nzl) Hyundai +3:05.5
3. T Neuville (Bel) Hyundai +4:22.5
4. E Evans (Gbr) Ford +5:34.8
5. M Ostberg (Nor) Citroen +7:50.1
6. J Latvala (Fin) Volkswagen +8.06.7
7. Y Protasov (Ukr) Ford +14:57.7
8. P Andreucci (Ita) Peugeot +15:03.3
9. J Kopecky (Cze) Skoda +17:41.7
10. K Al Qassimi (UAE) Citroen +19:12.0
1. S Ogier (Fra) 133 pts
2. Mads Ostberg (Nor) 67
3. A Mikkelsen (Nor) 63
4. J-M Latvala (Fin) 56
5. E Evans (Gbr) 53
6. T Neuville (Bel) 50
7. K Meeke (Gbr) 47
8. D Sordo (Esp) 38
9. H Paddon (Nzl) 32
10. M Prokop (Cze) 27