Gennady Golovkin v Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in doubt, says Abel Sanchez
By Isaac Robinson
Last Updated: 23/09/16 11:32am
Gennady Golovkin's trainer Abel Sanchez expects a clash with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez to be made "impossible" by Oscar De La Hoya.
WBA Super, WBC and IBF world middleweight king Golovkin (36-0-KO33) defended his titles against Kell Brook on September 10 and admitted in the aftermath he remains hopeful of a showdown with Alvarez (48-1-1-KO34).
Alvarez turned in a brutal performance of his own the following week; stopping Liam Smith for the WBO world super-welterweight title but despite the Mexican claiming Golovkin has already rejected the chance to face him, Sanchez is adamant the stumbling block is Alvarez's promoter De La Hoya.
"I see Oscar making it impossible to come to an agreement for Canelo v Golovkin," Sanchez told World Boxing News.
"In reality, Oscar needs Canelo to make his company. Well, that's before he gets beat by GGG and after the debacle and raping of Golden Boy by the previous regime.
Canelo and his team have to understand that Gennady is the only fighter that Canelo can face to make the spectacle of the event a pay-per-view success.
"As far as we know, Tom [Loeffler] and Golden Boy are negotiating in private and it is very un-businesslike to let social media judge what two men are willing to work for.
"It (the offer) may well be more than GGG has made, but also, Canelo and his team have to understand that Gennady is the only fighter that Canelo can face to make the spectacle of the event a pay-per-view success."
De La Hoya told the LA Times earlier this week that he had presented an "eight-figure" offer to the Kazakh, and had urged his team to "give him a call".
Kazakhstan's Golovkin has reportedly begun talks to face his WBA mandatory challenger Daniel Jacobs later in the year and is also targeting WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders.