Nathan Cleverly could defend WBA title on Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor bill
Tuesday 6 June 2017 15:16, UK
Nathan Cleverly could agree a WBA title defence against Badou Jack this week, with the fight likely to be staged on the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor bill.
The Welshman has urged promoter Eddie Hearn to negotiate a first defence of his WBA light-heavyweight title against Badou Jack, who has stepped up a division after his draw with James DeGale in January.
Jack is represented by Mayweather's promotional company 'The Money Team' and Hearn believes Cleverly could find himself on the undercard of the American's expected comeback fight against UFC star McGregor.
"It's certainly a fight that Nathan Cleverly and Badou Jack want," Hearn told Sky Sports. "Nathan Cleverly has been plaguing me for that fight for a long time.
"It's been a bit of a frustrating period, because we had the [Juergen] Braehmer rematch and that was pulled, so we've been waiting.
"We've got to get a move on. He hasn't boxed since October last year. He is prepared to wait, however, for Badou Jack, but it won't be long. We'll have a mandatory put on us again there, so we have to get a date this week I believe for the Badou Jack fight.
"I think Floyd would certainly be looking to put that on the undercard of the McGregor fight if that takes place, so I'm guessing they are trying to push that over the line first.
"But like I said, I'm hoping to agree terms on that fight this week. I believe the next defence for Nathan Cleverly will be Badou Jack."