Scott Quigg is set to challenge WBO champion Oscar Valdez, says promoter Eddie Hearn
By Richard Damerell
Last Updated: 03/01/18 1:42pm
Scott Quigg is close to a WBO title fight against Oscar Valdez and wants to "tear open" the featherweight division in 2018, says promoter Eddie Hearn.
The 29-year-old Bury man could soon be confirmed as the next challenger for Mexican Valdez, with reports in America suggesting the StubHub Center in California is a likely location for the fight on March 10.
Hearn is hopeful that he will finalise terms with Valdez's team and is backing Quigg to capture a world title in a second weight division after he previously held a WBA super-bantamweight belt.
He's been working quietly over the last 12 months and so have we. Now he's ready to tear open the division.
Eddie Hearn on Scott Quigg
"I've been in discussions with Carl Moretti at Top Rank for a couple of weeks now and we are close to a deal," Hearn told Sky Sports.
"It's a fantastic fight and one I believe can crown Scott as a two-weight world champion.
"He's been working quietly over the last 12 months and so have we. Now he's ready to tear open the division."
Valdez, who has sparred Quigg in the past, will be making the fourth defence of his belt and has stopped 19 of his 23 opponents.
Quigg based his career in America last year, linking up with respected trainer Freddie Roach in Los Angeles, and halted Oleg Yefimovych in his last outing in November.