David Warner has future with Australia, says CA chief executive James Sutherland
Last Updated: 07/05/18 9:21am
David Warner still has a route back to play for Australia, according to Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland.
Warner and former captain Steve Smith were handed 12-month suspensions while opener Cameron Bancroft was handed a nine-month punishment for their roles in the ball-tampering scandal in the Test series against South Africa.
Smith and Bancroft admitted to a plan to alter the ball - with sandpaper - during the third Test match at Newlands, Cape Town in March but Sutherland has left the door open to all three players, including Warner, who will be 32 when his exile comes to an end.
"Everyone deserves their chance and their own personal redemption story is very much in their own hands now"
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland
"I think everyone deserves their chance and their own personal redemption story is very much in their own hands now," Sutherland told Melbourne radio station SEN.
"Each of them have to go about that during the time they're out of the game and prove that they're worthy (and) prove to the Australian selectors that they should want them back.
"They deserve that opportunity."
Warner was identified as being central to the plan to use sandpaper to tamper with the ball in South Africa in an incident which shocked the sport.
All three players held emotional press conferences to apologise for their actions and opted against appeals to their respective bans.
A tearful Warner admitted he was "resigned to the fact" he may never play for his country again in the aftermath of the events and Sutherland added that he felt for the players.
"I feel forgiveness for all of them. I feel sympathy for them and I want to see them all come back and play their best cricket. I believe they all can," he said.
"Part of the design within the sanctions was to allow them to stay connected with the game.
"I also see part of our role is to support them with their state associations and their clubs, to help them stay hungry and come back and play their best cricket."
Cricket Australia on Tuesday appointed The Ethics Centre to review the sport's culture in the wake of the scandal to ensure there is never a repeat.
It will run in tandem with a separate probe announced last month into player behaviour.