Mike Atherton meets Steve Waugh: Download Sky Cricket podcast
By Sky Sports Cricket
Last Updated: 27/06/18 3:50pm
Steve Waugh is one of Australia's most successful captains.
His playing and captaincy career was part of a golden age of Australian cricket - a side that is considered to be one of the best, if not the best of all time.
So we sent former England skipper and current Sky Sports Cricket pundit Mike Atherton to meet 'Tugga' at the Sydney Cricket Ground during the Ashes tour of 2018, before the ball-tampering scandal that occurred just three months later.
- His life growing up with his twin brother Mark, and how they and their two other brothers "lived and breathed sport" growing up fostering healthy competition
- The circumstances leading to his first Test cap and how he felt a little out of his depth when he was rushed into the Australian side
- His battles against England and the West Indies, including his famous innings against Curtly Ambrose in 1995, and how they brought the best out of his inner self
- How he defines his captaincy style - and the different approaches he took, including the difficult decision to drop Shane Warne on his first tour as skipper - plus the importance of the 'baggy green'
- How 'matey' a team needs to be to be successful and when - or whether - a curfew can ever have a positive impact on a side
- His life after cricket - including why he hasn't gone into punditry and his ongoing charity Foundation work - and the impact commercialism is having on the game
Comment below to get involved in the debate, but please adhere to our House Rules. If you wish to report any comment, simply click on the down arrow next to the offending comment and click 'Report'.