Mitchell Santner to return to Worcestershire for 2017 T20 Blast
By PA Sport
Last Updated: 30/11/16 11:09am
New Zealand all-rounder Mitchell Santner will rejoin Worcestershire next summer as their main overseas player for the NatWest T20 Blast campaign.
Santner, a left-arm spin bowling all-rounder, who is a regular in all three formats for the Black Caps, will link up with Worcestershire following the conclusion of the ICC Champions Trophy, which is being held in England in June next year.
The 24-year-old's stay at New Road was cut short earlier this year when he broke a finger while fielding on his Worcestershire debut against Durham in the Blast.
He said: "I really enjoyed my time at Worcester with a great bunch of lads and it was so frustrating for me to pick up that injury in the very first T20 game.
"It's fantastic that I've got the chance to come back again next summer and hopefully I can make up for lost time and make an impact with bat and ball."
Worcestershire have already signed Australia seamer John Hastings for their Blast campaign and director of cricket Steve Rhodes was delighted to be able to add Santner to their line-up, subject to visa clearances and a no objection certificate from New Zealand Cricket.
Rhodes said: "There is some unfinished business with Mitch. We know he is a good player, an international player, but I always like to have signings where people have got something to prove and I think he feels that way so that's why it is an exciting signing."
Next year's Blast will no longer take place over the course of the season and will instead be concentrated into a block of games in the peak of summer and during school holidays, with group matches to take place between July 7 and August 18.