Joshua vs Klitschko: WBA open to Anthony Joshua avoiding mandatory challenger if he beats Wladimir Klitschko
By Andy Scott & James Dielhenn
Last Updated: 27/04/17 11:37am
Anthony Joshua could be granted a “special permit” not to face mandatory challenger Luis Ortiz if he wins Saturday’s fight against Wladimir Klitschko, the WBA have confirmed.
IBF champion Joshua will add the WBA 'super' title to his armoury if he prevails at Wembley Stadium, live on Sky Sports Box Office, and will receive the organisation's backing to select his next move despite Ortiz's No 1 ranking.
The winner is entitled to ask for a special permit if the event merits it. But Ortiz is the mandatory contender.
WBA president Gilberto J Mendoza
"It's an open window," WBA president Gilberto J Mendoza exclusively told Sky Sports.
"The winner is entitled to ask for a special permit if the event merits it. But Ortiz is the mandatory contender.
"It's in writing that Luis Ortiz should be the next opponent for the winner. I know sometimes boxing allows things to happen in a different way - it would have to be something very important to consider [Ortiz not fighting the winner]."
Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn had previously explained that Joshua may be forced to vacate either the IBF or WBA 'super' title, if he beats Klitschko, because each governing body would demand a different challenger.
But Mendoza's confirmation opens the door to a possibility of a rematch with Klitschko, of which Hearn previously said: "If it's a great fight, certainly we can't rule out doing it again."
Mendoza's WBA have created a personalised belt that will be awarded to the winner of Saturday's world heavyweight title fight.
Watch Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley Stadium on April 29, live on Sky Sports Box Office. Book the event online here or via your Sky remote.