John Gosden rules So Mi Dar and Journey out of Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita
Last Updated: 18/10/16 3:50pm
Connections of So Mi Dar have decided to wait until next year before sending the talented filly to the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita.
Trainer John Gosden believes the three-year-old, owned by Lord and Lady Lloyd Webber, is not ready for what would be the ultimate test on likely lightning-fast ground.
The daughter of the top-class racemare Dar Re Mi missed most of the season through injury and has had just two races since her return. After winning at Yarmouth, she was a close third in the Prix de l'Opera at Chantilly earlier this month.
"So Mi Dar is a very talented filly, but I think at this stage of her career she is like a 16-year-old ballerina and it is too soon for her to be going out there on a very firm, fast track," said Gosden.
"I've discussed it in depth with her owners, and we are very clear in our mind that it is a year too soon to go for that kind of race on that kind of track.
"It is no criticism of the track, they only put the course in during the summer and a lot of good friends have told me it's riding like lightning.
"That's it for the year and we will focus on Del Mar and the Breeders' Cup 2017."
Gosden also revealed Journey would not run at the Breeders' Cup meeting next month after winning the Qipco British Champions Fillies & Mares Stakes at Ascot on Saturday.
She will, however, stay in training next year with the Middleton Stakes at York in May an early target.
"Mr (George) Strawbridge (owner) wants to keep her in Europe, she has just won over a mile and a half at Ascot and coming out of Swinley Bottom is not the same as running down the hill on a flat track over a mile and a quarter at Santa Anita," said the Newmarket trainer.
"He is very keen to keep her here now she is flourishing. She will stay in training and be pointed towards the Middleton. She is only just getting going now she is turning from four to five."