NRL Expert @JennaBrooks
Inside the NRL: Billy Slater doubt for Queensland
Last Updated: 10/07/17 2:07pm
Jenna Brooks has the latest as Queensland receive a huge blow just days out from the State of Origin decider plus Sam Burgess looks set to extend his time at South Sydney.
There are doubts over the fitness of Billy Slater just days away from the State of Origin decider.
The star full-back has begun intense treatment after he suffered an ankle injury late in Queensland's training session on Sunday.
Maroons coach Kevin Walters told The Courier-Mail that Slater wasn't great.
"He's a bit sore. It's not ideal but it happened," Walters said. "He rolled his ankle last month against Cronulla. He's re-injured that a little bit more than anything.
"We're not concerned about him not playing. We think he is going to be all right. He seems to think he will be okay."
There is better news for Blues captain Boyd Cordner, who has overcome a calf injury to complete his first contact session.
New South Wales coach Laurie Daley is confident Cordner will play on Wednesday.
"Boyd did most of the session, so things are looking positive," Daley said.
"I spoke to him after training and he said he was feeling really good and very positive, so with those types of injuries you just have to wait and see how they pull up."
Kurt Gidley has told me that coaching is definitely a possibility once he retires from rugby league at the end of the year.
The Warrington and former Newcastle Knights playmaker, who has just finished a strength and conditioning course, admitted it was a possible avenue to go down.
Gidley also admitted that he plans on having a conversation with the Knights when he returns to Australia, but will not make any firm decisions until the end of the year.
It looks like Sam Burgess will remain at South Sydney until at least the end of 2019.
Reports in Australia suggest the Rabbitohs captain, along with his two brothers, George and Tom will all sign new deals with South Sydney in the coming days.
Sam's contract is up at the end of next season, but it's believed he is eager to secure his future at the club.
Reports have linked the Manly Sea Eagles with salary cap breaches. Despite having no evidence, the NRL has stated they will investigate these allegations.
Manly coach Trent Barrett has laughed off the claims and insists the club have nothing to be worried about.
"The players had a bit of a chuckle because they wanted to know who was getting it [the third party deals]," Barrett said.
"Seriously, if you look through our roster we have a lot of younger players in there that are really doing their best at the moment."
Head of Manly's football department and club legend Bob Fulton said the allegations are very serious but reiterated they are only allegations.
"You have to deal with it and get on with it, if you put your head in the sand, you're going to get nowhere. Our chairman (Scott Penn) has refuted it and he's done that on a couple of occasions."
End of an Era
After almost 15 years, 152 tries and 226 first-grade games for the Warriors, Manu Vatuvei will leave the New Zealand club and move to Salford until at least the end of the 2018 season.
Vatuvei, who was contracted until the end of next season, has been rated as one of the world's best wingers.
The 31-year old asked for an early release to join the Red Devils, but said it was one of the hardest decisions.
"I will never forget this club and just want to say a massive thank you to the club and the fans for their support over the years," he said.