Skip to content

Nick Kyrgios makes himself unavailable for Rio Olympic Games

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Nick Kyrgios will not be representing Australia at the Olympics after comments made by the Australian Olympic Committee

Nick Kyrgios has confirmed he will not be representing Australia at the Olympic Games in Rio over comments made by the Australian Olympic Committee.

Kyrgios joins compatriot Bernard Tomic in pulling out of the team after both players were placed "on watch" by AOC chef de mission Kitty Chiller over their behaviour.

Tomic released a statement last month that he did not want to be considered for the team and Kyrgios, although he has been backed by Tennis Australia, added his name to the unavailable list on Friday.

The 21-year-old has been at the centre of a number of incidents on court, frequently receiving warnings for swearing during matches, and he was given a suspended ban last year for making lewd comments about Stanislas Wawrinka's girlfriend.

Kyrgios' mad moments
Kyrgios' mad moments

We take a look at the Australian's previous run-ins

"It is with a heavy heart that I have had to make a decision not to compete at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro," Kyrgios said on his personal website.

"Coming to this decision has been a lengthy and difficult process, and I am extremely disappointed to have been put in this unfortunate position.

Bernard Tomic of Australia plays a forehand in his match against Jack Sock of the United States during the Davis Cup tie.
Image: Bernard Tomic also withdrew his name from consideration

"AOC's unfair and unjust treatment of me over the last four weeks, as well as the organization's crystal clear position on whether they want me to be a part of the Australian Olympic team, has solidified my final decision.

Also See:

"While I have received assurances from Tennis Australia that I will be nominated for the Olympic team, the AOC has chosen to publicly and privately disparage me.

"Not one member of the AOC has reached out to me, my family, my team, or representatives of Tennis Australia, asking for a meeting or the opportunity to discuss their concerns.

Nick Kyrgios kicked off his French Open campaign with a straight sets victory
Image: Kyrgios has regularly made headlines for his hot-headed behaviour on court

"The AOC's unwarranted attacks on me demonstrate the organization's inability to understand the circumstances surrounding highly competitive sports."

No tennis players have yet been officially nominated by Tennis Australia, and the International Tennis Federation is yet to inform countries which players are eligible - that announcement is expected on June 9.

In a statement released on the AOC's official website, Chiller said: "According to his website, Nick Kyrgios has made himself unavailable for selection on the 2016 Australian Olympic Team.

"At this point, Nick Kyrgios, or any other tennis athlete, has not been nominated for selection on the Australian Olympic Team. In regard to selection every athlete in contention is treated equally and fairly. We have no further comment on this issue."