Tyson Fury v Wladimir Klitschko rematch called off a second time
By Peter Gilbert
Last Updated: 24/09/16 10:23am
Tyson Fury's rematch with Wladimir Klitschko has been called off for a second time after he was declared "medically unfit to fight".
Fury was due to defend his WBA and WBO heavyweight titles against the Ukrainian in Manchester on October 29.
However, the 28-year-old, who pulled out of the original July 9 date after suffering an ankle injury, has suffered a similar set-back in training and the fight will be postponed for a second time.
Fury's management team Hennessy Sports confirmed the news in a statement released on Friday night.
"It is with the deepest regret that we have to announce that the world heavyweight championship rematch between Tyson Fury and Wladimir Klitschko, scheduled to take place on the 29th October 2016 at the Manchester Arena, will not be going ahead," said Hennessy Sports.
"Tyson has, this week, been declared medically unfit to fight. Medical specialists have advised that the condition is too severe to allow him to participate in the rematch and that he will require treatment before going back into the ring. Tyson will now immediately undergo the treatment he needs to make a full recovery.
"We and Tyson wish to express our sincerest apologies to all those concerned with the event and all the boxing fans who had been looking forward to the rematch. Tyson is understandably devastated by the development.
"We will be making a further statement in due course. Until then, we ask that Tyson and his family be given the privacy and the space he needs to recover during this difficult time."
Fury (25-0-KO18) claimed a shock points' win over Klitschko (64-4-KO53) to claim the WBA Super, WBO and IBF titles in November last year.
However, within weeks he was controversially stripped of his IBF when he refused to face the mandatory challenger and this latest delay to his rematch with Klitschko could result in him being stripped of his titles.
WBA president Gilberto Mendoza said his organisation would look into the reason for Fury's withdrawal.
"I heard the news," Mendoza told Sky Sports Richard Damerell. "I have not received anything official from Tyson Fury's camp.
"Let's see what happens. I think we're going to enquire with Tyson Fury to see what has happened."
Klitschko shrugs off Tyson no show
Wladimir Klitschko shrugged off Tyson Fury's failure to attend a London press conference
'The Gypsy King' was due to attend a press conference with Klitschko last week, but failed to show up, with his manager citing car problems.
Watch Crolla v Linares and a packed undercard live on Sky Sports 2 from 7.30pm on Saturday.