Injury blow for 21-year-old Bernard Tomic who face lengthy absence
Bernard Tomic could be sidelined for up to three months after scans revealed his groin injury is worse than first feared
Last Updated: 19/01/14 9:10am
The 21-year-old lasted barely a set before retiring hurt during his first round match at the Australian Open earlier this week.
Tomic was booed off court in Melbourne on Tuesday after shaking hands with top seed Rafael Nadal.
Subsequent investigations have shown that not only does his long-standing hip problem require rest, but another scan shows he has sustained a tear in his groin.
Tomic had wanted to delay surgery so he could play in Australia's Davis Cup clash with France but doctors have told him it is vital he undergoes surgery later this month.
Doctor Martin Clark expects him to make a full recovery in time for the French Open at Roland Garros in May.
Clark said: "Bernard's injury is complex and resulted from a hip condition called femoral acetabular impingement, which has placed significant limitations on Bernard's agility and speed and places him at constant risk of injury.
"He requires the surgery in the coming weeks and will likely return to the ATP circuit in three months."