Marin Cilic to miss Cincinnati Masters due to abductor injury
By Liam Baldock
Last Updated: 11/08/17 5:08pm
Defending champion Marin Cilic will miss the Cincinnati Masters after withdrawing from the Rogers Cup in Montreal due to an abductor injury.
The 28-year-old has not played since he suffered the injury at Wimbledon, where he lost to Roger Federer in straight sets in the final.
Cilic was hoping to defend his title in Cincinnati after he ended Andy Murray's 22-match unbeaten run in straight sets in last year's final.
The world No 6 said: "I have already started with my preparation and the progress is going well but there isn't enough time for me to prepare for Cincinnati and to be completely ready to play there.
"I still don't feel 100 per cent to compete at the top level and to defend my title."
But Cilic does hope to be back in action very soon and says he is looking forward to participating in the U.S. Open - the only Grand Slam he has won to date in 2014.
Andy Murray has also withdrawn from the hard court tournament, which begins on the August 12.