Las Vegas is current frontrunner to stage Anthony Joshua's rematch with Wladimir Klitschko
By Richard Damerell
Last Updated: 08/08/17 4:22pm
Promoter Eddie Hearn has revealed that Las Vegas has become the "frontrunner" to stage Anthony Joshua's proposed rematch with Wladimir Klitschko.
Joshua is expected to face Klitschko again after his thrilling stoppage victory at Wembley in April, and is waiting for a final decision from the Ukrainian about their planned second fight, which is likely to take place in November.
Promoter Hearn held recent negotiations with Klitschko's manager Bernd Boente and believes the 41-year-old could be tempted by a world title fight in Las Vegas.
"I have been in talks with Bernd Boente and the team," Hearn told Sky Sports News HQ. "We're getting close now to identifying the real options in terms of venues and locations.
Vegas has probably got its nose in front at the moment.
"Vegas has taken a little bit of a frontrunner in those. I know the British fans would love to do a trip out there for Joshua-Klitschko.
"Nigeria is still in the mix, Dubai as well, and of course Cardiff. But like I said, Vegas has probably got its nose in front at the moment.
"I think in the next week, we're looking to present all those opportunities to Wladimir Klitschko and his team. Speaking to Bernd Boente this morning, I feel like it's going to take that special event to make this fight."
Hearn hopes a final decision will be made in the next fortnight about the venue for the fight.
"I would like to keep it in Britain," said Hearn. "The fans have been incredible to Anthony Joshua, but if it means travelling to make sure this fight happens for world boxing, and it means taking a few plane loads to Las Vegas for a night and an experience they won't forget.
"Anthony Joshua is the world heavyweight champion, he's not the British heavyweight champion. He wants to break boundaries and so do we.
"To see Anthony Joshua's name up in lights on the Las Vegas strip is certainly something that appeals to us all.
"Yes, I would say the next couple of weeks, we'll be looking to make a decision in terms of the venue and location."