John Daly admits to wasting talent earlier in his career
Wednesday 11 May 2016 12:56, UK
John Daly has admitted he wasted his talent in the 1990s, but believes he is now in the right frame of mind to win his first Senior Open at Carnoustie in July.
The 1995 Open Championship winner competed in his first senior event last week, and the man known for his garish outfits on the course is hoping to leave behind his bad habits of the past and focus on playing golf on the Champions Tour.
The early 1990s were Daly's most lucrative years in terms of success, winning four of his five PGA Tour titles before 1995, including the 1991 PGA Championship and The Open in 1995, but Daly admits more should have been achieved.
"I think I wasted my talent in the '90s, especially the late '90s." he said.
"All the money was coming in and I didn't work hard enough at it. I didn't do the right things to prepare myself to win tournaments. That's not the case any more. My mental attitude is ten times better now."
Since his initial victory, Daly has been suspended from the PGA Tour five times and by 2010, he had received seven PGA Tour orders to undergo counselling or enter alcohol rehabilitation centres.
Daly turned 50 on April 28, and last week competed in his first event on the Champions Tour at the Insperity Invitational in Texas. He finished in a tie for 17th that would have been better had he not triple-bogeyed the penultimate hole, but insists he is looking forward to more senior events now that he feels his mental game has improved.
"I'm really excited to make it to 50 and to have a home where I can play," said Daly.
"It's been pretty tough those last few years, not knowing where I'm going to play and waiting by the phone for exemptions and so on. Now I have a category that means I can play for a few years out here and get a schedule which allows me to play a lot of golf. It's going to be good for me."
Deeming his first event a success, Daly confirmed this week that he was looking forward to returning to Scotland to play both The Open Championship and the 30th Senior Open this summer.
"Carnoustie is one of the courses that I love to death, although I've never played well there," he added. "It's probably got the best greens in Scotland. They're always perfect. The golf course is always hard, and challenging, and I love it. It's one of my favourites and I'm looking forward to playing there and at Troon."
"I'm looking forward to it. Links golf is probably my favourite and to have two weeks of it? I'm all for it."
He will be joined at Carnoustie by former Major winners including Tom Watson and Bernhard Langer, who won the first of his two Senior Open titles at Carnoustie in 2010.