Skip to content

Duo lead as rain hits Jakarta

Image: Luiten: Share of the lead

Joost Luiten and David Brandson share the lead after rain forced an early end to round one of the Indonesia Open.

Latest Golf Stories

Watch all four rounds of the Indonesia Open live on Sky Sports

Dutchman Joost Luiten and Australia's David Brandson share the lead on -6 after the first round of the Indonesia Open was brought to a premature close by heavy rain. The duo set the clubhouse target early at the Cengkareng Golf Club with matching 64s and, despite several players challenging, had not been toppled by the time a halt was called to proceedings as a result of the substantial downpour in Jakarta. Behind the leaders a group of ten players had gathered on -5 including Jeev Milkha Singh, Liang Wen-chong and England's Philip Golding. Another 12 players - amongst them defending champion Mikko Ilonen - were just a further shot off the pace as a real log-jam formed at the top of the leaderboard. Meanwhile, Ryder Cup stars Darren Clarke and Paul McGinely both returned opening rounds of 68 to sit at -2. Luiten, viewed as one of Holland's hottest prospects for years, was first to post his 64 which comprised eight birdies and two bogeys. Starting on the tenth tee, the 22-year-old opening with back-to-back birdies before giving them back with bogeys at 17 and 18 to hit the turn in 32. Luiten did not drop a shot on his back-nine with four more birdies ensuring he moved clear of the field.

Birdie blitz

Bransdon did catch him and had a red-hot run on the front-nine to thank. The Australian dropped a shot at the first but then reeled off five birdies in six holes to put himself in contention and completed his 64 by picking up shots at the 11th and 18th. Bransdon, who lost his card last year, was predictably pleased with his opening round, especially his efforts on the green. "I putted really well," he said. "I drove the ball well so it was a pretty satisfying start. "I lost my European Tour card at the end of last year. I'll play up until the end of April in these (European and Asian Tour) co-sanctioned events and hopefully I'll do enough to secure my card here in Asia which would allow me to play on the Challenge Tour." Despite his solid start, Clarke was left frustrated having seen a whole host of putts fail to drop on Thursday. "I holed a three-foot putt on the seventh, a three-foot putt on the ninth and an eight-foot putt and that was it," he said. "I made a lot of chances but unfortunately I didn't take them." Ilonen - at 73 in the world the top-ranked player in the field - kept himself in contention for a second consecutive victory in Indonesia with his 66 that featured five birdies. The remainder of the first round will be completed on Friday morning at 6:45am local time.