Lance Armstrong reportedly let partner take blame for car accident
Wednesday 4 February 2015 09:25, UK
Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong hit two parked cars with his sports utility vehicle (SUV) after attending a party and then agreed to let his girlfriend take the blame in order to avoid media attention, according to police reports.
Aspen police cited Armstrong with speeding and failing to report an accident on January 12, after the original incident had occurred on December 28.
Police say Armstrong’s girlfriend, Anna Hansen, told them she had been driving home from an Aspen Art Museum party when she lost control of Armstrong’s GMC Yukon on icy roads and hit two cars.
But detectives later interviewed Hansen and she told them Armstrong had been driving but that they had agreed she should take the blame.
Armstrong won the Tour de France a record seven times between 1999 and 2005, but those titles were stripped after a US Anti-Doping Agency report detailed the use of performance enhancing drugs by the American and his US Postal Service teammates.
The 43-year-old then admitted to doping in an interview with Oprah Winfrey in January 2013.
He has kept a fairly low profile since that high-profile interview, which came after Armstrong had spent years steadfastly denying that he used performance enhancing drugs.
Armstrong is due in court on March 17.