Rossi ends appeal in MotoGP title-deciding case
Friday 11 December 2015 09:27, UK
Valentino Rossi has abandoned his legal fight against a race penalty which cost him the MotoGP title last month.
Rossi was forced to start the season-ending race in Valencia from the back of the grid after he clashed with Marc Marquez in the previous round in Malaysia.
The Italian's hopes of a seventh MotoGP title disappeared when he failed to suspend the ruling on the eve of the title decider in Spain.
However, his appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport had remained ongoing, even though a ruling in his favour would have been of no practical use.
On Wednesday, the court said the 36-year-old had given up on that as well.
"Mr Rossi has now informed the CAS he does not wish to continue with his appeal," the statement said.
"Accordingly the arbitration procedure has been terminated and the FIM (International Motorcycling Federation) decision will continue to remain in force."
Rossi finished fourth in the race won by his Spanish team mate Jorge Lorenzo who took the title ahead of the Italian.
Spain's Marquez, the outgoing champion, and Dani Pedrosa finished second and third in Valencia.
Rossi, who has won 10 world titles in all, later accused the trio of a cosy agreement to stitch up the result and ensure one Spaniard handed over the title to another.