Skip to content

Cycling: Boonen banned

Image: Boonen: Little to smile about

Tom Boonen has been barred from competing in the Tour of Switzerland starting on Saturday after testing positive for cocaine.

Belgian sprinter submits positive test

Tom Boonen has been barred from competing in the Tour of Switzerland starting on Saturday after testing positive for cocaine. The 27-year-old Belgian submitted the out-of-competition test last month, three days before taking part in the Tour of Belgium. However Boonen, a sprint specialist who has won a total of six stages in the Tour de France, will not face any sanctions under the rules of the International Cycling Union. "The UCI will not be requesting that a disciplinary procedure be opened," a UCI spokesman said. "We have not been informed of this result but if the information is confirmed, as it is an out-of-competition control UCI rules like those of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) do not provide for any sanctions for cocaine." However, organisers of the Tour of Switzerland moved immediately to bar Boonen from competing in the race, although the remainder of his Quick Step team will be allowed to take part. The Belgian is currently in talks with French team Bouygues Telecom regarding a transfer ahead of the Tour de France, where he will once again be challenging for the green jersey which he won in 2007. But Boonen has been dogged by controversy since being caught up in a drug-taking scandal in December, when cyclo-cross champion Tom Vanoppen said after he had tested positive for cocaine that Boonen had provided him with the drugs. The latest news will do little to enhance his reputation within the sport.