Leigh Centurions admit interest in signing Rangi Chase
Wednesday 25 November 2015 12:15, UK
Leigh have confirmed their interest in signing 2011 Man of Steel Rangi Chase.
Head of rugby Derek Beaumont revealed the Kingstone Press Championship club had secured changes to the salary cap which would allow them to pull off what would represent a major coup.
The ambitious Centurions, who have already recruited Salford forwards Harrison Hansen, Cory Paterson and Reni Maitua for 2016, had been linked with a move for their former team-mate Chase after his contract was terminated by the Red Devils last month.
The capture of former England half-back Chase was dependent on Leigh forcing through an increase in the Championship cap from its current £1m ceiling.
Beaumont said he took legal advice before opting for further dialogue with the Rugby Football League and, writing in his column for the Leigh Observer, he said a breakthrough had been achieved.
"We received confirmation from the salary cap manager that under new rules we can spend £1.3m based on our budgets submitted," he said.
"This means there are no issues of juggling around the million pound cap with the players we signed. It also means we can recruit further, subject to a cash bond deposited with the RFL.
"I am committed to signings that were really subject to finishing sixth as per our plan. Whether it's Rangi Chase, who is widely reported to still be available, or another quality player, it needs a further commitment from someone."