Skip to content

Bernie Ecclestone: Former F1 CEO explains Brazil gun drama

Bernie Ecclestone was arrested late on Wednesday for illegally carrying a gun while boarding a private plane, police have said; he acknowledged owning the gun, but said he was unaware it was in his luggage; the 91-year-old paid bail and was freed to travel to Switzerland

Bernie Ecclestone
Image: Bernie Ecclestone was arrested late on Wednesday for illegally carrying a gun while boarding a private plane

Former Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone denied on Friday he had been arrested in Brazil and said an illegal gun found in his luggage before boarding a flight was never used and had no ammunition.

The 91-year-old, now in Portugal, told Reuters a "silly, tiny little incident" had caused a lot of aggravation as he and his family tried to leave Sao Paulo by private plane on Wednesday night.

"I haven't had any publicity lately and I thought I ought to do something to get some," he said.

Sao Paulo state public security office confirmed in a statement to Reuters on Thursday that a businessman was arrested for possession of a firearm at Campinas' airport, but did not name him directly.

"I was never arrested," said Ecclestone, who confirmed that he had to pay 6,060 reais ($1,260) bail before being allowed to leave.

"They wanted it in local currency which we never had," he added. "So there was another drama trying to find the money. I was leaving the country, I didn't have any local money.

"It was a bleeding drama, unnecessary, over a nothing."

Also See:

Ecclestone said he had bought the handgun, a LW Seecamp .32, from a Formula One mechanic or tyre man in Brazil years ago without ammunition and purely as a deterrent.

"They said you need something like this," he explained. "It might work if someone tried to mug you or something. So I bought it from the guy.

"I had it in the house and used to muck around with it if people came to visit me or something, we would joke around," he added.

Ecclestone said he had left it in a shirt pocket and the people packing his luggage put it in a suitcase without being aware of the gun. An airport scan then revealed the gun, which had not been registered.

"It was never going to be shot, it never had any bullets so I never bothered to register it. I didn't know you had to," said Ecclestone.

Ecclestone said he then spent from 8pm until 5am at the airport making statements and completing paperwork before leaving in the morning.

Around Sky