Skip to content

'F-duct' to be banned

Image: Horner: Safety and cost issues

Formula One teams have agreed to ban the controversial 'F-duct' aerodynamic device on all cars from next season.

Aerodynamic device outlawed from next season

Formula One teams have agreed to ban the controversial 'F-duct' aerodynamic device on all cars from next season. The decision to ban the devices, which allow a driver to channel air flow from the cockpit in order to stall the rear wing and increase straightline speed, was taken following a meeting of the Formula One Teams' Association at the Spanish Grand Prix. McLaren, who first introduced the system at the start of the season, argued to keep it but a majority - including teams who developed their own versions - voted against it on safety and cost grounds. Sauber, Williams and Mercedes GP all introduced their own versions as did Ferrari, who ran it in Barcelona during the weekend. Double world champion Fernando Alonso was seen controlling his car's F-duct and therefore driving with one hand - and sometimes no hands - at speeds upwards of 150 mph. Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, whose driver Mark Webber dominated Sunday's race, said they had looked into the system but thought it should be outlawed. "It is a clever piece of engineering and hats off to the guys who invented it, but some of the solutions this weekend look a bit marginal when you see drivers driving with finger tips and no hands," he said. "So I think there is a safety issue and a cost issue to take into account." Earlier this season, FOTA also voted to ban 'double diffusers' for next season.