Daniil Kvyat says he is 'honoured' by his promotion to Red Bull for 2015
Russian will replace Sebastian Vettel at quadruple World Champions
Friday 17 October 2014 15:24, UK
Daniil Kvyat says he is “honoured” by his promotion to Red Bull where he will replace Sebastian Vettel in 2015.
The Russian’s rise to the top has been rapid given as recently as the 2013 Young Driver Test at Silverstone he was still only considered an outsider for any potential vacancy at Toro Rosso compared to Antonio Felix da Costa or Carlos Sainz Junior.
Kvyat, though, went onto dominate the closing rounds of last year’s GP3 Championship with numerous pole positions and victories, persuading the Red Bull bosses to give him his chance in F1.
The 20-year-old has impressed alongside Jean-Eric Vergne in 2014, but admits it was a shock to be promoted to the senior team, only finding out minutes before the rest of the world at Suzuka on Saturday.
“This morning when I arrived at the track and I am very pleased about it, very honoured and happy
and I have to thank Red Bull for this great opportunity,” he told Sky Sports F1 when asked when he found out.
When his F1 promotion was announced last year, Kvyat remained focussed and continued to perform for Arden in GP3 and has vowed to do the same during his final races with Toro Rosso.
“I believe first of all that I am a racing driver and at every race I will give my best, be flat-out every race and I have five races left with Toro Rosso,” he added.
“I will still do my best, but it is nice of course to know where I will be next season. There will always be a little bit of thought towards that, but nevertheless I will be pushing hard.”
Kvyat currently sits 15th in the Drivers’ Championship with five points finishes in the opening 14 races.