Fernando Alonso says he has a plan for 2015 and he's the 'decision maker' in market
"I have a plan in my head, I have had my mind set for the last two or three months," Spaniard tells Sky F1 as McLaren switch looms larger with Vettel set to arrive at Ferrari
Saturday 4 October 2014 11:58, UK
Fernando Alonso says he has a “plan in my head” over his future but hasn’t yet decided where he will race in 2015, with the Spaniard also claiming his intentions have “moved the market” following Sebastian Vettel’s decision to quit Red Bull.
A driver market which for months had been enveloped in a state of stasis was finally – and dramatically – brought to life on Saturday at Suzuka as Red Bull unexpectedly announced that World Champion Sebastian Vettel was leaving at the end of the year. Although the German’s next destination has yet to be officially confirmed, the team’s senior figures soon revealed that he was headed for Ferrari.
A vacancy at the Scuderia had already begun to look an inevitability in recent days amid Alonso’s breakdown of relations with the team’s new management and Sky Sports F1 understands that the remaining two years on the Spaniard’s contract were formally terminated on Thursday.
Vettel’s anticipated arrival at Ferrari has increased the likelihood that Alonso will return to McLaren to spearhead their new Honda era, although speculation also suggested on Saturday that it’s not completely out of the question that the 33-year-old could take a sabbatical and bide his time for 2016.
But with his departure from Maranello after five seasons now effectively an open secret, Alonso told Sky F1 after qualifying fifth in Japan that he has had an idea of his plans for several months and, while not completely resolved, his desires were driving the market. That can be viewed as an effective admission that his decision to quit Ferrari has opened the door for Vettel to take his place.
"I still have not decided completely. I have a plan in my head, I have had my mind set for the last two or three months,” he told Rachel Brookes. “I have the privileged position because more or less I can choose wherever I want to go in the moment that I want to go.
“I gain that respect in so many years, especially the last five at Ferrari, so being the decision maker probably some of the movements that we are seeing now is an implication of what I'm deciding. So let's wait a little bit and when I clear completely my last doubts, I will tell you where I go."
The 2005-2006 World Champion added that things remained "very open" but declared confidence that "everything's going according to plan and let's wait and see".
Prior to Red Bull's shock announcement the expectation had been that it would be Alonso who officially called the first shot in the 2015 transfer merry-go-round. Although the Spaniard’s comments imply he still believes he is in control of his own destiny, Sky F1’s Martin Brundle reckons “Alonso’s definitely parked himself out there and now he’s on his backfoot with whatever his negotiation is next".
As a result Brundle reckons the prospect of the 33-year-old sitting out 2015 is not yet out of the question and asked by Sky F1 if a sabbatical was indeed an option for him, Alonso didn’t rule it out. However, having made clear his desire on numerous occasions to win a third world title, he stressed that he remains determined to achieve success.
"There are many possibilities. I want to do one thing for many months. I want to win. I want to be World Champion. I want to work professionally I did all my career. I need to be happy, I need many things if we put together it goes to one direction. And that direction probably moved the market as it is doing now."
The 2014 Japanese GP is live on Sky Sports F1 this weekend. Extensive coverage of Race Day at Suzuka begins at 5.30am on Sunday with lights out at 7am.