Alberto Contador disappointed by Paris-Nice loss to Geraint Thomas
By Matt Westby
Last Updated: 13/03/16 4:58pm
Alberto Contador admitted his disdain for second place after failing to prise overall victory at Paris-Nice from Geraint Thomas on Sunday’s final stage.
Contador launched no fewer than six attacks on the day's last two climbs and twice dropped Thomas as he attempted to overturn the Welshman's 15-second overnight lead.
But Thomas repeatedly fought back and surrendered only 11 seconds, which was enough to beat runner-up Contador to the title by four seconds.
Contador said: "I was hoping for another result. I don't like second places. I did everything I could to make up for lost time and in the end I nearly won.
"Yesterday it didn't quite work, but I told myself there were opportunities left to take today. We were really motivated and we tried everything. I'm confident I made the show [for fans], even if I didn't succeed.
"Geraint Thomas played it well. He has a very strong Team Sky around him, but he could be beaten."
Contador has now been defeated by Thomas twice this year, having finished third as the Team Sky rider won last month's Volta ao Algarve.
However, the 33-year-old took confidence from his performances at Paris-Nice.
He added: "The bright side is that I could see that my sensations were good and it's a boost for the upcoming Tour of Catalunya."