Skip to content

International rugby league eligibility rules to be reviewed

Australia's Fiji-born wing Semi Radradra is tackled by New Zealand's Jesse Bromwich
Image: Fiji-born wing Semi Radradra (left) was selected by Australia for last week's win over New Zealand

The International Federation has pledged to clarify the rules on eligibility in international rugby league in the wake of Australia's controversial selections for their Test against New Zealand.

New Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga received widespread criticism for selecting Fiji winger Semi Radrada while confusion surrounded the position of Brisbane stand-off Anthony Milford who was prevented from representing Samoa.

Under current regulations, players can switch their allegiance between World Cups but there are many grey areas and that has prompted the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) board to launch an immediate review.

RLIF chairman Nigel Wood said: "The board determined that an immediate review of eligibility rules should be conducted by David Collier, the chief executive of the RLIF, and Andrew Hill, the secretary of the RLIF.

Anthony Milford of Brisbane Broncos gets past Anthony Gelling of Wigan Warriors
Image: Brisbane stand-off Anthony Milford was prevented from representing Samoa by Broncos and England coach Wayne Bennett

"It was further determined that the chief executive should codify all RLIF regulations into a consolidated document for ease of communication to stakeholders and members.

"These are important pieces of work given the changing nature of international sport and the desire to ensure that the top players in each nation are eligible to represent their country in international football."

Our game is growing
Our game is growing

International rugby league has finally gotten its act together, says Phil Clarke

The board also received a report on work to create global consistency of the rules and paved the way for the introduction of an Inter-continental Cup in 2019.

Also See:

That is likely to be confirmed in August or September while organisers say they anticipate being able to announce venues and matches for the 2017 World Cup in July.

The board, which appointed new NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg as a director, will hold the Federation's annual meeting and congress in Liverpool from November 18-20 to coincide with the final of the 2016 Four Nations Series.