Saracens will not appeal Chris Ashton's 13-week ban for biting incidents
By Mark Ashenden
Last Updated: 23/09/16 4:25pm
Saracens will not be contesting the 13-week ban imposed on winger Chris Ashton for biting Northampton's Alex Waller.
Ashton was found guilty on Tuesday after appearing before a Rugby Football Union disciplinary panel to answer the charges of acts against good sportsmanship under law 10.4(m).
The England international, a former Saints player, was accused of biting opposing prop Waller in two incidents in the 24th and 25th minutes of their Aviva Premiership clash on Saturday. Saracens won the match 27-12.
Ashton contested both counts. The independent panel found the first charge proven but dismissed the second charge.
Director or rugby Mark McCall told Saracens' website: "The club has been fully supportive of Chris throughout this process and we are naturally disappointed to lose a player of his calibre for 13 weeks.
"We put forward what we thought was a strong case for both charges to be dismissed but the decision to suspend Chris is one that we accept. No appeal will be lodged.
"We will continue to support Chris during his enforced time away from playing, and help prepare him for his return to action in December."
The Saracens winger was given a 13-week ban. He is free to play again on December 19.
After delivering their verdict on Tuesday, chairman of the panel Philip Evans QC said: "Having considered detailed evidence, the panel concluded that during the course of a ruck Chris Ashton bit the arm of Alex Waller at a time that Mr Waller was attempting to clear him out.
"The panel concluded it was a low-end entry point aggravated by his previous record."
Ashton had already served a 10-week ban earlier this year, being suspended when he was found guilty of making contact with the eye of Ulster's Luke Marshall during a European Rugby Champions Cup game in January.