Skip to content

Australia's Mitchell Starc appears doubtful for Boxing Day Ashes Test with England in Melbourne

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 18:  Mitchell Starc of Australia looks on during day five of the Third Test match during the 2017/18 Ashes Series between Austr
Image: Mitchell Starc has been on crutches for the last few days, says Pat Cummins

Mitchell Starc's participation in the Boxing Day Ashes Test appears in doubt after his pace partner Pat Cummins described the left-armer as only "50/50" to be fit in time.

Cummins reported Starc - who is the leading wicket-taker in the series - has been on crutches to protect his injured heel.

Jackson Bird could replace Starc at the MCG, while Australia may also be without wicketkeeper Tim Paine, who is yet to link up with his team-mates in Melbourne after his father-in-law fell seriously ill in Tasmania.

Cummins said: "I think he [Starc] is about 50/50 - he's doing everything he can to get right.

"He's been on crutches the last few days to try to take some weight off the heel. He's absolutely itching to get out there and play, but we've got to make sure he's right."

Mitchell Starc of Australia prepares to bowl during day one of the First Test Match of the 2017/18 Ashes Series
Image: Starc has taken 18 wickets in the series so far

Australia must factor in Starc's availability for a four-Test tour of South Africa in March with their ambition to dish out a 5-0 whitewash to England.

"I think that's certainly part of the thinking of the selectors, the captain and everyone around him," said Cummins.

Also See:

"I know for him he just wants to play every game, but it's a funny kind of injury. It's not super common, but if it's not treated well it can drag on for a long time."

Cummins also refuted claims that Australia's use of short-pitched bowing to England's tailenders has been excessive.

"Not at all - for us plan A is always 'how can we get the batsmen out', and at the moment for a few of their guys we think that's our best chance of getting them out for the least amount of runs.

"Until that changes, our plans are pretty solid.

Pat Cummins of Australia bowls during an Australian nets session at Adelaide Oval on November 30, 2017
Image: Pat Cummins insists there will be no tactical rethink for Australia's bowlers

"I think they're all pretty competent. [Stuart] Broad's got a Test hundred, and [James] Anderson's got an 80-odd.

"Starcy, [Josh] Hazlewood, Birdy and I knew we were going to cop it as well - so we spend lots of time in the nets working on it and talking to other players about how to best defend it.

"Once you get out on the field, the gloves are off and there's no alliances," Cummins added. "I don't think that's ever-changing - we're all too competitive for that.

"It's one of the thrills of bowling fast, trying to unsettle the batsman when the pitch might not have sideways movement or swing. I think it's part of cricket and I hope it will always stay part of cricket."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

England men, England women, T20 Blast and more... Sky Sports is the home of cricket in 2018