Skip to content

Eoin Morgan: I have no regrets about missing Bangladesh tour

Eoin Morgan of England shouts instructions during the 4th Royal London ODI between England and Sri Lanka at The Kia Oval
Image: Eoin Morgan expects a warm welcome on his return to the England camp

Eoin Morgan says he expects to be welcomed back as captain of England's limited overs squads for their matches in India next month.

The Irishman, along with Alex Hales, opted to sit out the tour of Bangladesh in October due to security concerns following a terror attack in Dhaka earlier this year.

Morgan cited his residual worries, after previous security alerts while playing in both the Dhaka Premier League in 2013 and the Indian Premier League in 2010, as his key reason for staying at home.

However, he will skipper England in three ODIs and three T20 games in India, on a tour which will begin on January 5 and he does not regret his decision not to travel to Bangladesh.

Live Test Cricket

Morgan said: "We're a tightly-knit group who back each other's decisions.

"And in particular in this case where every decision for the individual was his own decision and whatever was right for him.

"I think creating the platform for everybody to feel comfortable and not begrudging anybody for going or not going shows the strength within the side."

Also See:

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 12:  England captain Eoin Morgan and Alex Hales share a joke during an England nets session at Sydney Cricket Ground on March 12,
Image: Morgan and Alex Hales (L) both return to the England squad for the tour of India after sitting out the Bangladesh series

He added: "It was a difficult decision to make and I don't think a lot of people would have made it.

"But I am certainly happy with the decision I made. I wasn't comfortable travelling because of security concerns and I weighed up the question 'would I be able to perform as a captain and as a player given the security concerns in Bangladesh?'

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Get ready for another terrific year of cricket on Sky Sports in 2017.

"It is something I considered before confirming my decision to the ECB. I tried to imagine all the different circumstances, and didn't feel comfortable enough in my mind to go and be able to perform.

"When you speak about security there are so many external factors. You've got to consider family members, kids, wives, girlfriends, mothers, fathers and it sits differently with different people."