F1 engine dispute: FIA propose mid-season rule-change after talks during pre-season testing in Bahrain
Formula 1's engine dispute will be resolved before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix after talks were held in Bahrain during testing; watch the second day of the final week of testing on Thursday from 6.50am, live on Sky Sports F1 and Sky Sports Mix
Wednesday 18 February 2026 16:08, UK
The FIA have proposed a mid-season rule change to its engine regulations with a vote set to take place before the Australian Grand Prix.
The build-up to the new 2026 season, which are the biggest in F1's history, has led to potential loopholes being exploited, particularly with the new power units - which are 50 per cent electrical powered.
The FIA are looking to close the loophole regarding engine compression ratios at hot temperatures, with Mercedes potentially being targeted.
- Follow live updates and watch the best video from Bahrain testing
- When to watch final Bahrain pre-season test live on Sky Sports
- F1 2026: Testing, calendar, line-ups, new regulations, how to watch on Sky Sports
- Not got Sky? Get Sky Sports or stream with no contract on NOW📺
Sky Sports News understands discussions took place on Wednesday during the opening day of the final test between the FIA and engine manufacturers, although Mercedes were not invited.
A vote has been submitted to the five power unit manufacturers - Mercedes, Red Bull-Ford, Ferrari, Honda and Audi - with a super majority is needed for the new test to be implemented from the summer break at the start of August.
A super majority would require six votes from the seven voters - the five power unit manufacturers plus Formula 1 and the FIA - with an outcome expected "within the next 10 days" before the season-opener in Australia on March 6-8.
The FIA said in a statement: "Over recent weeks and months, the FIA and the Power Unit Manufacturers have collaboratively developed a methodology to quantify how the compression ratio changes from ambient to operating conditions.
"Following validation of this approach, a proposal has been submitted whereby, from 1 August 2026, compliance with the compression ratio limit must be demonstrated not only at ambient conditions, but also at a representative operating temperature of 130°C."
The row centres on compression ratio limits amid suggestions from rivals that a manufacturer may have found a way to deliver a higher limit than what was theoretically imposed by the new regulations for 2026.
The compression ratio limit has been lowered from 18.0 under the previous ruleset to 16.0, but measurements are currently only taken when the engine is not running at full temperature, with Mercedes being believed by teams to be exploiting this which could give them a competitive advantage.
Mekies: We don't mind what happens with regulations
In January, when the engine saga was first reported, Red Bull engine chief Ben Hodgkinson said it was "a lot of noise about nothing" and had sided with Mercedes against the other three engine manufacturers - Ferrari, Audi and Honda.
However, Aston Martin team principal Adrian Newey told Sky Sports News earlier this month that "everybody is aligned bar one manufacturer". Newey did not name Mercedes, but the stance Toto Wolff has taken that any rule change would be "quite damaging" to the Silver Arrows, suggests Red Bull had changed their stance.
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies said the saga "is not noise" and called for "clarity" before the FIA's statement on Wednesday.
He said: "Sometimes it was felt that we were not so sure where Red Bull was standing. At least that's what I was reading, listening to you guys.
"The simple truth is that we don't really mind if the regs goes left or if the regs goes right. What we absolutely want is clarity on what we can do and what we cannot do.
"That's what we are working with the FIA and the other power unit manufacturers to have this absolute clarity. And I'm confident that we will reach that point."
'Constructive talks' held surrounding race start procedure
There have also been discussions about race starts as the new power units have made it more difficult to start an F1 car due to the loss of the hybrid element of the power unit.
This has led to concerns over safety concerns with cars unable to get off the line quickly which could cause accidents, with McLaren boss Andrea Stella raising the issue.
"We're not talking about how fast you are in qualifying. We are not talking about what's your race pace. We are talking about safety on the grid," he said.
"There's some topics which are simply bigger than the competitive interest. And for me, having safety on the grid, which can be achieved with a simple adjustment, is just a no-brainer. It's just a bigger interest."
Separately to the F1 engine saga, the F1 Commission met on Wednesday in Bahrain with the meeting with representatives from all 11 teams, the FIA and F1.
During the meeting, the FIA said "constructive talks" were held with "a "further evaluation of updates to race systems and on-car management will be undertaken during the current Bahrain test".
Sky Sports F1's Bahrain Testing schedule
Thursday February 19
- 6.50am-11.05am: Morning session Live
- 11.55am-4.10pm: Afternoon session Live
- 8pm: Testing Wrap
Friday February 20
- 6.50am-11.05am: Morning session Live
- 11.55am-4.10pm: Afternoon session Live
- 8pm: Testing Wrap
Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Sky Sports, starting with the Australian Grand Prix from March 6-8. Stream Sky Sports with NOW - no contract, cancel anytime