Miguel Cotto and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez set to collide for world middleweight title
Wednesday 10 June 2015 13:40, UK
Miguel Cotto is likely to put his WBC world middleweight title on the line in a colossal clash with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez later this year.
The 34-year-old Cotto wowed New York with an emphatic fourth-round stoppage of Daniel Geale last weekend - albeit at a catchweight of 157lbs - to improve his record to 40-4-0 and further secure his legacy as Puerto Rico's first and only four-division world champion.
Mexico's Alvarez, who is a former WBA and WBC super-welterweight champion and has only ever lost to Floyd Mayweather (via a majority decision in September 2009), moved to 45-1-1 when he blasted out James Kirkland in three last month.
Now, both the 24-year-old and Cotto seem enthusiastic over the possibility of a big-money bout.
Canelo's manager, Eddy Reynoso, said: "Saul has several options but the fight with Cotto would be very beautiful. Hopefully we can secure that confrontation. That fight would be ideal. But just in case, we have plans B and C."
Cotto has enjoyed a renaissance under the guidance of legendary trainer Freddie Roach, who is equally positive over making the fight.
Roach said: "Canelo is a young guy coming up, and Miguel is a guy that is getting better and better at what he does.
"I do like the fight. It's a great fight for boxing and it's a great fight for the world. It's two really good fighters going at it, and that's what we want to see."
Cotto has credited Roach for his ruthless recent form. In the last two years, he has stopped Delvin Rodriguez inside three rounds and relieved Sergio Martinez of the WBC crown.
'Junito' said of his trainer: "Freddie is the mastermind behind everything I did in the last two years. He's the best thing I ever could have in my career. He brings the old Miguel back and he's the reason Miguel is here right now."