Floyd Mayweather challenged by former rugby league star Anthony Mundine
Tuesday 7 July 2015 12:51, UK
Floyd Mayweather Jr has received a challenge from another unexpected source - former rugby league star Anthony Mundine.
Last week, UFC star Conor McGregor said he was open to the idea of facing the unbeaten welterweight kingpin in a boxing ring and now, Mundine has also thrown his hat in to the ring.
The Australian rose to prominence in the NRL with St George Dragons but quit rugby league in 2000 to take up boxing and has since built up a record of 47-6-0-KO27, including a seventh-round stoppage victory over Mayweather opponent Shane Mosley in November 2013.
Now 40, Mundine has written an open letter to Mayweather, 38.
The letter said: "My name is Anthony "The Man” Mundine! I am the uncrowned best athlete of all time! (check my resume). I was a rugby superstar before I quit at the top of my game due to racism & politics to take up boxing!
"I’ve got attributes that none of these cats got! You want show time - I am show time! I’ll give you a way better go than you’ve been getting.”
Mundine had been due to face former world light-middleweight champion Austin Trout in Texas in May but was forced to pull out of the bout after sustaining a perforated ear drum in training.
Mayweather (48-0-0-KO26) recently named Karim Mayfield and Andre Berto as the pair leading the race to be his next opponent, while Amir Khan, Kell Brook and Keith Thurman are also in the race.