Nicky Cook has been forced to pull out of his WBO super-featherweight title defence against Stephen Foster Jr due to flu.
Maccarinelli to now head London bill as part of 'Judgement Night'
Nicky Cook has been forced to pull out of his WBO super-featherweight title defence against Stephen Foster Jr due to flu.
The Dagenham fighter was set to put the belt on the line at the Excel Arena in London on December 6,
live on Sky Box Office.
However promoters Sports Network have announced that the 29-year-old - who became champion when he beat Alex Arthur back in September - has been ruled out.
Cook admits it is a major blow to miss out on the chance of headlining a card that also includes Amir Khan and Enzo Maccarinelli.
Devastated
"I'm absolutely devastated that I won't be able to defend my title for the first time and especially as it's in my backyard," he said.
"I returned to training last week but it was clear that I had missed too many training sessions to catch up and I just felt really weak because of the flu.
"I can't let my heart rule my head and it's important that I'm 100 percent fit and ready to defend my title rather than lose it and come out with excuses."
Promoter Frank Warren was philosophical about Cook's withdrawal and believes there is still plenty on the bill to excite fight fans.
Interest
Khan will be looking to bounce back from his first professional loss against Irishman Oisin Fagan while Maccarinelli is aiming to claim the vacant WBO cruiserweight title when he takes on Johnathon Banks.
"Obviously this is unfortunate, but these things happen in boxing and Nicky needs to be fully fit to defend his title," Warren said.
"Enzo now headlines the show and is in a real hard fight against Banks. We have worked hard to get him a world title opportunity on his first fight back and now it is down to him to do the business in the ring.
"There's a lot of interest in Amir's big return and to see how he comes back after his first loss, but he has gone to America and trained with one of the best in Freddie Roach and we will see how he has progressed."
After the action in London,
Sky Box Office viewers will get to see the massive showdown between Oscar De La Hoya and Manny Pacquaio in Las Vegas, the final act on 'Judgement Night'.